Why does it become a delicious color when toasting bread?
When you toast the bread it will be a delicious color. Also, when you bake meat or onions, they turn brown.
This is the Maillard reaction. The Maillard reaction is that protein and sugar contained in food are linked by heat, and it turns into brown with denaturation.
The problem is that this reaction is occurring at body temperature even in the body and has various adverse effects.
The binding of proteins and carbohydrates by heat is called “glycation”, and the Maillard reaction is one of glycation.
Sugar is used to make fried potatoes and breads look delicious. By glycation, AGEs (advanced glycation end product) can be made.
AGEs have various adverse effects on people’s bodies. AGEs have something included in food and those made in the body, it is important to be careful of both.
What kind of adverse effect does AGEs have on the body?
· Osteoporosis … When AGEs accumulate in the bones, the bones become fragile and become prone to fracture.
When osteoporosis causes the bone to become brittle, it may fracture with a slight impact such as stumbing or sneezing.
· Aging of the skin … AGEs aging the skin, it causes dullness, elasticity, deterioration of elasticity · spots etc.
When I looked at my picture taken before I started treating diabetes, I looked older than now.
· Dementia … I know that AGEs will damage neurons in the brain. Also, AGEs progress arteriosclerosis, but this also occurs in blood vessels of the brain.
· Cataracts … It is a cataract that a transparent “lens” that works like a lens of a camera in the eyes becomes white muddy and can not be seen well.
Normally it happens with aging, but in diabetic patients it is said that it may occur even in the 30s and 40s!
· Chronic kidney disease … AGE causes arteriosclerosis of kidney glomerular capillary blood vessels, which gradually reduces kidney filtration function and shifts to chronic kidney disease.
It is said that the greatest cause of chronic kidney disease is AGEs.
· Diabetes Complications … The three major complications of diabetes are retinopathy, nephropathy, and neuropathy, one of these causes is AGEs.
It is said that benfotiamine (a derivative of vitamin B1 made to make it more accessible in the body than natural vitamin B1) can prevent the new accumulation of AGEs and prevent progress of diabetic complications.
How can we avoid AGEs?
Exogenous AGEs are common in those cooked with both protein and carbohydrate (toast, hotcake, crispy bacon, fried chicken,etc).
French fries, potato chips, tobacco and so on also contain so many AGEs…these are not good for health at all!
However, not all exogenous AGEs are taken into the body, about 10% in healthy people and about 30% in those with nephropathy are absorbed.
Fructose contained in soft drinks and fruits is metabolized by a route other than glucose.
Fructose is easier to make AGEs than glucose, and AGEs made during fructose metabolism are quite toxic.
Although many Japanese people are thin, it is said that hyperlipemia and diabetes and diabetic complications progress due to excessive consumption of fructose.
The grilled toast is delicious, but it is dangerous to scorch your body like bread. Be careful with AGEs to prevent diabetes complications and other health hazards.